Tuesday 17 July 2007

Camp/ Burritos as Big as Your Head!

Camp was interesting... I went there every year as a kid, so going back to be a councilor was a completely different experience. I had five middle-school-aged girls in my cabin. One was ADHD/Bi-polar and she told me at least five times a day that she hated me, but then turned right back around and said she loved me about ten... so I guess it evened out more in my favor. Her best friend was in our cabin and they had a huge fight in the middle of the week, and I wanted to just sit down and tell the friend that it wasn't worth it to reason with the girl, she just wouldn't listen. I wish somebody had sat me down as a kid and explained to me that some people just do not reason. Anyway, most of my girls kept me busy, they also gave me a candle in my brownie for my birthday. Later that night I was thrown in the pool, maybe as a "Happy birthday" thing, and maybe it was just because I was sitting in the pool area fully clothed and that's what the guys like to do. Camp was fun, but full. I'm glad to be back.

After the camp experience, I drove to Nebraska to meet some people who were camping. The next morning Emily and I started on our drive to Illinois for... BURRITOS AS BIG AS YOUR HEAD! Back in December I told Emily that I remembered driving by a sign in Bloomington, Illinois that said "Burritos as Big as Your Head!" We both share a love for burritos, and we could honestly say that we had never received on as big as a head. After a little more research, we found that the place is actually called La Bamba, and that there were about five of them scattered in Southern Illinois. Our mission became clear.

We decided to make our dream mission, a reality. We arrived at my aunt Sue's house late Saturday night, so we slept and then drove to one of the two La Bamba locations only to find that it is closed on Sundays! We almost let this ruin the whole trip, and were about to begin driving home (we were going to make up for it by stopping at John Wayne's birthplace in Iowa) when we stopped in a Starbucks, explained our dilemma, and got directions to the other side of the city where another La Bamba existed. That one was open. We ate a burrito (we shared, and couldn't finish the whole thing), we danced a bit, and then we drove back to Colorado.

I know it sounds crazy, but it was a lot of fun.

Oh, and the Burrito was pretty good.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

that story is both crazy and fun!