Monday 1 October 2007

Happy October!

Yesterday we carried out our community project in my village and it went really well. We put together (with the help of our really cooperative schools) a "culture festical" where we sang, danced, and put on some skits to show off what our cultures are like (american and Kazakhstani). We even taught them the electric slide. This was funny because I didn't actually know the electric slide prior to this event... It was a lot of fun, and the director of the school asked us to eat lunch with him (more sheep head! I was given the ear so that I would be attentive and well behaved). ALSO I have a new host brother. But how? You ask. Well, my host brothers live in Almaty during the week because they go to University and college there. They happen to have an extra room, and PC needed to move another trainee from his old apartment to another... So on friday, guess who came home with them! Da da! My new brother Jason! Its interesting to swap stories with him, because our experiances have been so different.

Anyway, this morning my alarm rang (on my phone), I hit snooze and twenty seconds later the phone RANG. And I was really confused, but it was my sister! Seester! It was really nice to talk to her, because last time the connection was so bad that all we got in was "hello? wait I can't hear ---" This time was a full ten minutes of real talking, so that was exciting. Ok, I don't have much more time, but things are still going well. My family is still nice, even if they have mixed expectations for my language learning, they are being very patient, and they still feed me well. I hope everyone who reads this is doing well, and I want to hear from you!

Angela: I am working on your letter still (it costs so much, I feel like I have to fill the envelope as much as possible before I send it out)

Michelle: I'm starting a letter entitled "so you want to join the Peace Corps" it might get to you before November.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh awesome! thanks Jess! I'm so excited to get a letter from Kazakhstan!

your culture festival sounds like a lot of fun. what sorts of things did you do to show American culture (besides the electic slide - ha!) ?

Anonymous said...

Jess you are amazing and I love you! I think after this peace core experience you should write a novel or at least put together a collection of your letters and blog posting. I think it would do well!
love Gina of (stina)