Wednesday 1 August 2007

Answers to the tough questions

(1) exactly where I'll be: Exactly in Kazakhstan. For the first two or three months it will be in the old capital of Almaty, and then... it could be anywhere. Except apparently they do not send volunteers to the Caspian Sea area, which I'm sort of bummed about, because Ursula sings about it in the Little Mermaid... I was sort of hoping for something I could brag about later... Anyway. I think that I want to focus on Russian and not Kazakh (however, I change my mind every day on this decision) and if I do learn Russian, I have a better chance of being in the north of the worlds 9th largest country. Still not that specific, but there you go.

(2) exactly what I'll be doing there: Teaching English to "secondary school" children. Again, the age range there is like, 11-18. It could be a more narrow age range, or it could be all of them. This is all decided once I'm in country. I am going to work on secondary projects in my community. I get to decide what these projects are, so ideas are greatly appreciated. (Examples include, but are not limited to: orphanage work, starting English Clubs, sports clubs, summer camps, teaching about womens leadership, etc...)

(3) exactly what I'll be eating there: Ok, here is the thing. I have already told myself that I will, on at least three to five occasions, eat cow head. Apparently it is served in the middle of the table on a plate and everyone gets to have some... I have also read of pieces of leftovers being in soup. I suppose it depends on my host family and the region in which we live. I am planning to bring ranch dressing mix and possibly Tobasco sauce to assuage my palate when it becomes too much for me. I think that, as with most things, I will get used to it eventually. The first few months are going to be difficult, but I think the first few months after you get a "real" job are probably difficult too. Same problems, different location.

Those are all the answers I have for now. Details will come eventually.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks, Jess. this is very helpful! I will let my mom know so she doesn't have to worry too much :-)