Saturday 20 September 2008

Community Member

Peace Corps is always telling us during training that a Volunteer is always working to become a member of the community that many people know and respect. I don't know what I thought I was before, but it just recently occurred to me that maybe I am known and respected. When people meet me, it's like they're meeting this wonderful person they've heard so much about, and are just so grateful to finally see my face. Part of this could be attributed to their gravcious and accomodating nature, but I also think I might actually have become a MEMBER. Membership in a community is difficult to come by and unlike most other memberships, you can't necessairly buy your way in. (Especially if you're a volunteer and aren't really paid that much).

My site-mate and I have been planning on opening an English Resource Center in our center Library. By "planning" I mean "talking about it a lot with our schools and each other." But we finally tooka very important step: We went to the library to talk to them about holding community clubs and opening a resource center. They were so excited to work with us, and are more than willing to help us. "We will always help you" were their exact words. I think we might be well-respected members of the community... I don't know when or how it happened, but it did.

1 comments:

Angela said...

The English Resource Center sounds like a really great idea! What would happen there? Would it be like a walk-in tutoring session, or a lot of instructional books, or classes?

I'm glad to hear things seem to be going well for you! Have you gotten to see any pictures (probably on facebook) of my nephew yet? :-D