Monday 24 March 2008

Rings, A dress, and maybe one thousand dollars

It's springtime in Kazakhstan! This means the snow is finally going away and I can stop wearing long underwear! I didn't prepare a good post for this internet trip, and for that I apologize. But what I do have to share is interesting, I promise. A couple days ago was Nauryz, the Kazakh new year. My town had yurts set up in the center, and they looked really beautiful. My sitemate and I got to eat and drink some *interesting* things and then watch a concert. For the most part, just a good time in the yurts.

Later that night, my family had guests over, and two of them are the parents of my host brother's roommate in the city. They were asking how old I am, and I told them 24, and they gave me that look, up and down, figuring "just how much more time do you think you have to get yourself married?" So they told me they have a son, and that my family needs to start considering what they will buy for my Kazakh wedding (they were maybe mostly kidding...) So we agreed that my family needs to provide rings, a dress and maybe one thousand dollars, and they will provide the candy, the horse (to eat), and vodka for the ceremony. I'm not familliar with the price of horses, but they are a delecacy, and mom, dad, I think we sould consider their offer.

I'm not getting any younger here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad was just saying the other day how he thinks arranged marraiges are a good thing. Just warning you, they might only be half joking too... Scary, huh?
~Seester

Anonymous said...

hahahaha.

Well...at least there will be vodka and they have the best intentions possible.

It isn't like you're 75 years old or something - you have plenty of time. To do whatever you need to do.

I know you know this, now it is just a matter of convincing them too...

~former roomie Sarah